Placing First in the Marketing category at OCMC (Ontario Colleges Marketing Competition)
Recognized by Boys and Girls Club Niagara
Personal Challenge and Accomplishment
I had a personal challenge during my time in college. I feel that how I dealt with this challenge shows my work ethic more than anything else I can tell you.
In December 2017 just before I was set to write my finals, my son was diagnosed with Stage 3 Cancer and was immediately admitted to McMaster Children’s Hospital.
Being that my 4th semester started in January, I had a decision to make.
- Don’t attend and be a semester behind of graduating on time
- Attend and try to pass while tending to my son who will be in the hospital (in another city)
I figured if I attended and failed, then I am in the same situation as not even trying. If I attended and passed, then I am still on track.
I chose to register for my 4th semester. I passed all classes and have graduated on time.
- 1st semester, I made the President’s Honour Roll
- 2nd semester, I made Honour Roll
- 3rd and 4th semester, I just missed honour roll due having my son in the hospital from before finals through 4th semester. I was given 3 months to write my finals, and to be honest, I didn’t prepare.
- Was in Co-op for 5th semester
- 6th Semester, I made the President’s Honour Roll again.
I am more proud of passing all my courses during 4th semester and graduating on time, than I am about achieving any honour roll.